Introducing a Second Life

P

Pluto the MLG Doge

A Second Life & New Opportunities

Alright. I am going to start this off by saying that this idea has been swirling around in mine and many players’ heads for quite some time. However, after talking to Resh and Kerk, and with the addition of the new whitelisting system, we’ve decided to try out introducing a new character slot for players to use on BLN, so that they can experience more than just their Clone or Jedi, respectively. So, starting today, Naval will be allowed to be played by Clones/Jedi as a second character. In addition, VIPs may play their Janitors as second characters.

• Naval characters are going to be allowed to be played by both Clones and Jedi as a second character, with some restrictions.
  • Janitorial second characters are VIP only.

Guidelines

Actually getting the second character will be as easy as doing a Naval tryout that will be held under Kerk’s discretion. If someone is to join the Naval as a second character, they will be allowed to play any specific branch of Naval, however they will be unable to reach the rank of Ensign. This is due to many reasons, the primary of which being that the interests of a player should not be split. If a player passes the rank of Ensign, and becomes an officer in Naval, as well as, for example, an XO of a battalion, then they will have a conflict of interests within their focus for the server. Would you favor your Naval position over your battalion? Or vice versa. In addition, it would be unfair for those that view Naval as their main character, such as someone like Kerk. They’ve dedicated plenty of time to Naval, and if they are going to play the character solely, then they shouldn’t be able to be rivaled by someone who is playing it as a second character.

• In order to get the second character, you must go through a tryout just like anyone attempting to get into a battalion in the first place would.
  • Jedi and Clones may play a Janitor as their second character if they are VIP.
  • Jedi and Clones may play any branch of Naval as their second character.
  • Second character Naval may not reach the rank of Ensign.

Why play a main character Naval, then?

As previously mentioned, a second character Naval cannot (reach) the rank of Ensign, however a main character Naval can, and will be encouraged to do so, so that they may assist in leading the newly-recruited Naval forces. In addition, a secondary Naval will receive the rank of ARM upon enlisting. However, a main character Naval will receive the rank of POG2 to begin with. This gives them a slight edge upon the start, and provides more incentive to move up the ranks faster. Main character Navals will be seen as more of the leaders of the fleet, rather than just simple officers.

• Main character Navals can (reach) the rank of Ensign.
  • Secondary Naval characters receive the rank of ARM upon enlisting.
  • Main Naval characters receive the rank of POG2 upon enlisting.

An Escape from Predictability

Alright, Pluto. Second character navals. That’s cool, but why would I want to bother splitting my time from my epic Clone or meditating Jedi?! Well. You’re right. Everyone has good memories from their main character, but there comes a time that you may want to try something new, but you don’t want to lose all your progress on your main character -- all that time and effort you spent getting your Jedi up to Knight status, or your clone to Staff Sergeant. You can try something new with your second character, without risking the position of your main character whatsoever. This provides an escape from CloneRP, which is mostly a mixture of camaraderie and brotherhood RP. This can get stale. It can also being a goody-two-shoes Jedi can get boring. With a second character, you can try something new!

• Live a little. Try something new without losing the progress on your main character!

To COs and XOs

As for any COs and XOs, or Jedi Masters that may want to do secondary characters, that is totally fine. However, your primary focus should always be to your battalion. That means, don’t neglect your duty as a CO/XO/Jedi Master due to your involvement with Naval. You’ll have time to do all of that later. If you are caught slacking, so to speak, then you will be subject to the same punishments as normal inactivity. You are not given a pass because, ‘I was technically on BLN, but just playing my other character!’. You need to lead your respective group. You may have fun with your side character, but it should never be your primary focus. Instead, it should be a nice retreat where you can relax.

• COs/XOs/Jedi Masters should know where their priorities lie, and focus on their main characters and respective battalions, rather than focus on their naval character and prefer them.

Strategist: That old game.

Many old dogs will remember how I originally joined BLN. Resh invited Fuka and I to the server to teach the server how to play Strategist, Gideon’s game that he made to involve Naval more often, and give them a strategic way to involve both themselves, and the server during the events. However, it did have some troubles, and that was due to the slow-paced nature of the game, when no one knew what the rules were, or what could be done. I’m going to try to implement this back into the server, to test it out. It’s going to be a heavy WIP for now. This will give both the main and secondary Naval characters something to do, as non-Naval players will not normally be allowed to engage in Strategist during events that use it. I’m likely going to be changing several rules of Strategist so that it is more time-friendly. I will also be adding units to the game that are based off BLN Lore! Call it an expansion pack, if you will.

• Strategist will be coming back… soon™. It’ll feature slightly altered rules and an expansion pack. It’ll be taught so that it does not go as painfully slow.

A Forewarning

This is an experiment, and for all intents and purposes, this is a privilege. You are given a second character so that you may have fun, however you must keep in mind the seriousness of BLN. Obviously, read the room, you know when to be serious and when not to be. If you cannot manage, however, to keep some semblance of seriousness during peak hours of the day, while RP is going on, then you will lose the character. Janitors, are understandably mingey, but they have their own sort of minge to them. Janitors are the sort of characters that are silly, extremely silly, but they shouldn’t be specifically there to be what you go to get your energy out. Use common sense with whether or not you should do something as a Janitor. With Naval, however, understand all the effort Kerk put into it. It is a lot more than one may realize, and his effort should be taken seriously. If this is not taken seriously, this will just be reversed altogether, and second characters will go back to being an idea. Be silly, not stupid. In addition, different options for second lives may be thought of in the future. But for now, only Janitors for VIPs and Naval for everyone currently.

• Be serious with your character. If you can't tell when to be serious or not, you're going to have a bad time.

If you have any questions, post them below! It won't be locked unless it gets to be really bad.

E

Eowyn

my only question is would it be gay if i hugged you fucks for doing this

J

Joshua Clark

Really like no one even fucking bothers to talk to me about these things? What a joke

T

TenableTick6897

Wow, how many times did we say this and maybe after over 7 months now we finally get it? Good game

R

Resh

Wow, how many times did we say this and maybe after over 7 months now we finally get it? Good game
and how many times do you realize we had a one job only whitelist?

P

Pluto the MLG Doge

Didn't have a whitelisting system that could do it. bWhitelist didn't work on BLN and the other one didn't allow for more than one whitelist.

A

Anthony Carmine

Didn't have a whitelisting system that could do it. bWhitelist didn't work on BLN and the other one didn't allow for more than one whitelist.
So....you can whitelist to more than one job now?

P

Pluto the MLG Doge

Y
Yes, that means I can finally do conquest events again
You don’t even gotta whitelist them tbh. You can just do “rp_<job> <name>” in console to force set their job to a diff job. So you could forceset them to 212th or something like. “rp_212thtrooper Pluto” in console would set me to 212th. Though I’m sure you knew that. It didn’t work with the other whitelist system tho so rip

T

Theseus

"Shu'lak Ti said:
could you not have that as your signature
I like how because of this comment more people checked it and got annoyed

H

Hector

I like how because of this comment more people checked it and got annoyed
It's been like that for a while, I'm surprised no one mentioned it sooner.